GAMSAT: Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test
The Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test or GAMSAT is an international test used to select applicants for candidates applying to study medicine, dental medicine, podiatric medicine, pharmacy and veterinary science. These courses are offered at the Australian, British (UK), and Irish (Ireland) universities as Graduate Entry Programs.
The test is designed to assess a candidate’s aptitude to carry out high-level intellectual studies in the medical and health specialized programs.
The test was started by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) jointly with the group of Graduate Medical Schools.
GAMSAT assesses the nature and extent of skills and abilities obtained through prior learning and experience, including the mastery and use of concepts in basic science as well as the attainment of more general skills in critical thinking, problem solving, and writing. It evaluates a candidate’s ability to study and interpret the written material and information represented graphically as well as the ability to make logical conclusions and opinions.
GAMSAT Eligibility Criteria
Students who have completed their Bachelor’s degree or are in their final year of bachelor degree program are eligible to sit for GAMSAT. There is no limit to the number of times a genuine applicant may sit for GAMSAT.
GAMSAT is held only once a year: in late March or early April in Australia, and in Ireland and around the middle/end of September in the UK.
The GAMSAT is a 5 hours and 30 minute tests, divided into 3 parts:
Part 1-Reasoning in Humanities and Social Sciences
- Reasoning in Humanities and Social Sciences
- Written Communication
- Reasoning in Biological and Physical Sciences
The Reasoning in Humanities and Social Sciences tests the rational, subjective, objective and critical thinking skills of the candidates. It tests whether the candidates can understand and interpret the ideas and hidden meanings and draw conclusions in socio-cultural settings. Different types of text are given based on academic, socio-cultural, personal or interpersonal topics.
Part 2-Written Communication
- No. of questions: 75
- Type of questions: Multiple-choice
- Duration: 100
This part tests a candidate’s writing skills. It requires a candidate to express his ideas and perceptions towards a given topic, in writing clearly. This part involves two tasks:
- The first task deals with social and cultural issues
- The second tasks deals with personal and social issues.
Written Communication is evaluated on two parameters- Quality of thinking about an issue or subject and control of language which includes, the use of grammatical structure, syntax and semantics and written expression.
No. of questions: 2
Part 3- Reasoning in Biological and Physical Sciences
This part has three subjects- 40% Chemistry, 40% Biology and 20% Physics questions. Questions are presented in the form of text, graph, diagram, table, or mathematical form and are taken from the first year university subjects of biology and chemistry and year 12 physics. This part tests the reasoning and problem solving skills of the candidates within a scientific context.
- No. of questions: 110
- Type of questions: Multiple-choice
- Duration: 170
GAMSAT Registration and Fees
You can register for GAMSAT online only through the official website.
- Create an online account with your email address.
- Fill in the online registration form.
- Pay the required fees online by credit card-MasterCard, Diners or Visa, AMEX and even MasterCard debit card.
After successful registration, you will receive a confirmation email and a checklist.
GAMSAT Contact DetailsGAMSAT Office at ACER
Private Bag 55
Phone: 61 (0)3 8508 9097
Fax: 61 (0)3 9277 5757
Results and Scoring
Candidates get individual scores as well as total combined or overall score. The results and scores are sent via email. You need to login to your account using your email address and access the results.
The Total Combined Score is computed as weighted average scores of 3 parts. The scores are expressed on a scale of 0 to 100. The overall GAMSAT Score is computed using the following formula:Overall/Total Score = (1 x Part I 1 x Part II 2 x Part III) / 4
Along with the overall and individual scores, a chart is also given so that you can calculate an approximate percentile ranking for your Overall Score.
Test Day Essentials
- Admission Ticket- Will have your personal information
- Identification document- Can be a valid passport or driver’s license
- Stationery: Pencils (medium soft HB), eraser and pens (blue or black)
Test centers outside Australia
Besides Australia there are test centers in other countries :Wellington, New Zealand, Dubai, London, Singapore and Washington DC. An overseas fee is charged in addition to the registration fee.
Test centres in Australia
There are many test centers in Australia. Candidates can sit for GAMSAT at any of these testing centers. They are required to select the test center convenient for them. There is a test center in each of the capital cities of Australia, and one in Townsville.Australian (AU) Universities (and their programs) that accepts GAMSAT Scores are-
- Australian National University- Medicine
- Deakin University- Medicine
- Flinders University-Medicine
- Griffith University-Medicine
- The University of Melbourne-Medicine, Dentistry, Optometry
- Monash University-Medicine
- The University of Notre Dame Australia, Fremantle School of Medicine-Medicine
- The University of Notre Dame Australia, Sydney School of Medicine-Medicine
- The University of Queensland-Medicine
- The University of Sydney-Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy
- The University of Western Australia- Medicine, Dentistry, Podiatric medicine
- The University of Wollongong- Medicine
GAMSAT IrelandTest centres in Ireland
Dublin, Cork, and Limerick
Test centres outside Ireland-
London, Dubai, Singapore, Washington DC and Melbourne, Australia
**An overseas fee is charged in addition to the registration fee if you pot for the test center outside Ireland.Ireland Universities (and their Graduate programs) that accepts GAMSAT scores are-
- Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland- Medicine
- University College Cork - Medicine
- University College Dublin- Veterinary Medicine, Medicine
- University of Limerick - BM BS Graduate Medical Program (GMP)
GAMSAT UKTest centers in the UK
Bristol, Cardiff, London, Liverpool, Birmingham, and SheffieldTest centers outside the UK
Dubai, Brisbane and MelbourneUK Universities (and their Graduate-entry programs) that accepts GAMSAT scores are:
- University of Exeter-Medicine
- The University of Nottingham- Medicine
- Plymouth University- Medicine, Dentistry
- St George’s University of London- Medicine
- Swansea University- Medicine
- Liverpool University- Medicine
- University of Cardiff- Medicine