The SAT: US College Admission and Scholarship Test
The SAT or SAT was earlier called as Scholastic Aptitute Test. Its standardized test mainly taken by students completing 12 years of education. The purpose of the test is to measure the college readiness of students. The College Board is respnsible authority to design and develop the test. However, SAT is administered worldwide by Educational Testing Services (ETS) on behalf of College Board.
Since its inception SAT has seen many changes. originally called the Scholastic Aptitude Test, it was later called the Scholastic Assessment Test, then the SAT I: Reasoning Test, then the SAT Reasoning Test, and now, simply the SAT.
SAT has two versions: 1. SAT and 2. SAT Subject Test. A candidate can take either test or both the test.
You are advised to check with individual colleges for SAT requirements. SAT Score is mandatory to write college admission application and apply for scholarships.
There are no special requirements to take SAT, anyone can register and take the test. But the test is intended to measure college readiness. SAT measures a test takers ability on two counts: 1. What one has studied during 12 years of school of education and 2. whether he / she would be able to complete a college degree programme. SAT focuses on skills and not on rote learning.
SAT Examination Sections
In the SAT test, you will need to answer questions from following ares:
SAT Reading Test
- This test is about how you receive an information, what you think about it and how you use the information provided. All Reading Test questions are multiple choice and based on passages.
- Some passages are paired with other passages.
- Informational graphics, such as tables, graphs, and charts, accompany some passages—but no math is required.
- Prior topic-specific knowledge is never tested.
- The Reading Test is part of the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section.
SAT Writing and Language Test
- The SAT Writing and Language Test ask you to perform three things: 1. Read, 2. Find Mistakes and Weaknesses and 3. Fix the errors.
- All questions are multiple choice and based on passages.
- Some passages are accompanied by informational graphics, such as tables, graphs, and charts—but no math is required.
- Prior topic knowledge is never tested.
- The Writing and Language Test is part of the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section.
- View SAT Writing and Language Test Sample Questions https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sample-questions/writing-language
- The SAT Math Test covers a range of math practices, with an emphasis on problem solving, modeling, using tools strategically, and using algebraic structure.
- Most math questions will be multiple choice, but some—called grid-ins—ask you to come up with the answer rather than select the answer.
- The Math Test is divided into two portions: Math Test–Calculator and Math Test–No Calculator.
- Some parts of the test include several questions about a single scenario.
The Math Test will focus in depth on the three areas of math that play the biggest role in a wide range of college majors and careers:
- Heart of Algebra, which focuses on the mastery of linear equations and systems.
- Problem Solving and Data Analysis, which is about being quantitatively literate.
- Passport to Advanced Math, which features questions that require the manipulation of complex equations.
The Math Test also draws on Additional Topics in Math, including the geometry and trigonometry most relevant to college and career readiness.
The SAT Essay asks you to use your reading, analysis, and writing skills.
- It’s optional—but some schools will require it. Get College SAT Essay policies.
- You have 50 minutes to complete your essay, 25 minutes more than the required essay on the old SAT.
- You won’t be asked to agree or disagree with a position on a topic or to write about your personal experience.
Find here list of colleges and scholarship providers require or recommend for SAT Essay
The SAT Test is scored on a scaled score of 200 – 800. SAT Test date does not affect test score of candidate. A candidate P scoring 400 on a given test date will have same merit as another candidate Q scoring 400 on another test date. However, to distinguish between candidates scoring similar marks a percentile score is supplied. A 60 percentile means you did better than remaining 60% of the test takers.
You can take SAT test on any schedule date at your location. Colleges and Scholarship providers requires that your score should be sent by College Board to them. You can ask College Board to send SAT Score Report to related institutions.
SAT ID Requirement
On a SAT test day you will need to furnish your ID to appear for the test. Without a valid ID you won’t be able to write SAT. Following given SAT ID Requirements
- Be a valid (unexpired) photo ID that is government-issued or issued by the school that you currently attend. School IDs from the prior school year are valid through December of the current calendar year. (For example, school IDs from 2015-16 can be used through December 31, 2016.)
- Be an original, physical document (not photocopied or electronic).
- Bear your full, legal name exactly as it appears on your Admission Ticket, including the order of the names.
- Bear a recent recognizable photograph that clearly matches both your appearance on test day and the photo on your Admission Ticket.
- Be in good condition, with clearly legible English language text and a clearly visible photograph.
Acceptable ID Examples to show SAT Examiner
Acceptable ID in Ghana, Nepal, Nigeria, and Pakistan:
- Government-issued driver's license or non-driver ID card
- Official school-produced student ID card from the school you currently attend
- Government-issued passport or U.S. Global Entry identification card
- Government-issued military or national identification card
- Talent Search Identification Forms (allowed for eighth grade and below)
- SAT Student ID Form must be prepared by the school you currently attend or a notary, if home-schooled.
A valid passport onlyAcceptable in India:
A valid passport or Aadhar CardAcceptable ID in Egypt, Korea, Thailand, and Vietnam:
A valid passport or valid national ID card
SAT Calculator Policy
SAT is test of skills and not rote learning. For answering parts of SAT Math test use of Calculator is allowed. Here is list of calculators
you can use in the SAT Test Center
SAT Test Dates / SAT Test Locations
SAT is administered over 7 times in a years. The US test dates may differ from International Test Dates. The Educational Testing Services administers SAT Test across world including United States. Find a SAT Test Date and SAT Test Location near you
SAT Registration Fees
For a US Test Taker SAT Registration Fees is $47.50. However, if you take SAT with Essay Test then Registration Fees is $64.50. Fee waiver is available. Find here SAT Registration Fee for International Students
How to register for the SAT Test
Prospective SAT Takers can register either online or offline. Candidates are encouraged to register online. However, if you required you can chose for SAT Paper Based RegistrationRegister Online for SAT Test
You need to register for the SAT by mail (also known as paper registration) if you are:
- Requesting testing closer to home.
- Requesting Sunday testing for the first time.
- Paying by check or money order (payable to "The College Board").
- Younger than 13 years old.
- Unable to upload a digital photo as part of the online registration process.
- Registering through an SAT international representative.
SAT focuses on skills rather than memorization. The test is a measure of what you have learnt from 12 years of education and whether you would be able to complete college coursework. US Colleges and Scholarship providers counts on SAT Score to know your college readiness. The test score is also valid worldwide for college admission and scholarship.
Practice is the Key. In SAT Test you need to answer SAT questions in a given time frame. SAT is designed so everyone can take it. To help you understand how the real SAT looks like the college board has designed SAT practice. You can practice typical SAT test before actually appearing for the SAT on a test date.
SAT Overseas Advising Centers
Right information prevents any last minute hassle. Students preparing to join college may have many questions. Finding right answers at right time is the key to preparation. If you need advice regarding SAT you can meet to officially appointed SAT representatives in your location.