Still photography still rules the world. With popularization of Smartphones and Social Media like Instagram the need for better still photography cameras is on the rise. Who doesn't want to lock special memories in a frame. World has gone too far but the need for awesome photo frames is continuous. Today whether it's an event in our backyard or photos taken by Spaceships; photographs rule the world. This is the magic of a photographic camera that we are able to know how we were in our childhood. Photography is another name of legacy or better say part of legacy in 'every size of systems'. It's developed as a system of belief and hence the need for efficient photographers is continuous.
The craze of photography can be guessed from the fact that Smartphone manufacturers produce phones with a frontal camera. Today, you can capture your own image from a Smartphone. However you cannot capture every moment in the best form and professional photographers are in demand to take those beautiful glimpses and memoirs and produce still photographs so you can add them in your legacy vault, in your family photo album and may be in your multimedia library as well.
Photography is weaving a story through the lens. Photographers capture images of landscape, people, and merchandise that tell a story or record an event. What written words cannot explain, a still photograph can narrate an entire story with story telling effect. Photography has immensely helped in the development of technology. This is a photograph taken by satellites through which we know how the weather is in other parts of the world etc.
To teach professional photography courses are delivered at different levels; viz; certificate, diploma, undergraduate and graduate programmes. There is no shortage of colleges, universities and institutions delivering courses in photography. All Certificates and Degrees in photography are recognized across academia and industry alike. Surprisingly, the need for photographers exists in every industry. But considerably high demand can be found in modelling and fashion, gaming, travel and events. A good photographer can make the images speak without words.
The works of World's best photographers are recognized and awarded by IPA-International Photography Awards. It's an yearly event and takes place in New York City.
Role of a Photographer
- Select the desired image and picture composition to tell the perfect story.
- Choose the correct location or set.
- Determine film exposure settings.
- Supervise camera operators.
- Analyze and discuss with directors to decide on composing a subject.
Today, photography has gone digital. Most photographers use highly advanced digital cameras. Once transferred on the computer, photographers can crop, edit, and modify images and enhance it using specialized effects. Most of the pictures are presented in a digital format to the clients. Only after special requests and for occasions like weddings, birthdays or anniversaries, photographs are framed or put in albums.
Types of Photographers
- Commercial Photographers
- Portrait Photographers
- Fine Arts and Fashion Photographers
- University Photographers
- Scientific Photographers
- Wildlife and Adventure Photographers
- Event Photographer
- Wedding Photographer
Skills Required for a Photographer
Visualization: Photographers should have the ability to visualize how things could look after their position, color, lighting or space gets changed.
Creativity: Photography is artistry personified. They must be able to use their subjects in the best possible creative manner.
Computer Skills: Since photography has gone digital, computer skills are required to use photo editing software.
Eye for Details: Photographers must have a keen eye to spot even the minutest detail. Even a slight change in the color shade can ruin the quality of a photograph.
Business Skills: Photographers should be able to capture the correct image from the right angle to make it saleable. One must be able to understand the market of the product and capture images accordingly.
Pros and Cons of a Photographer
- The profession doesn’t allow you to get bored. You have a wide variety of subjects to choose from weddings to the world of fashion, from sports to personalities.
- Photographers get to travel to exotic locations to shoot. For example, a wildlife photographer may travel inside the jungles and wildlife parks in Africa and Australia.
- If you are a freelance photographer, you have great autonomy while choosing assignments. You can get freedom in not only choosing the subject but also about its presentation.
- Demand for work will always be there as advertisers will not stop advertising and people will not stop getting married!
- Long and erratic working hours which at times can affect your health.
- As a freelance photographer, you have to be prepared for uncertain income. Once established, you can expect a regular workflow, but you can face struggle at the entry level.
- Photographers are exposed to potential hazards. Photographers covering crime subjects, or war zones could be caught in crossfire.