Career Options: Authors and Writers
The terms Authors and Writer always raise an eyebrow. The profession of writing and authoring is among top most careers. In books, there is no fix eligibility criteria to become an author or writer. But in practice to become one you need quality knowledge and passion in the chosen field. The quality knowledge that may challenge the belief system and bring out new knowledge leverage with facts to show new lights.
At mass level the term writer and author are considered as common because of the nature of job. Both uses power of pencil to make things work. However, both are different and poles apart. In my understanding, a writer is a person who publishes thought piece by piece, however, an author is a person who keeps thought process noted and publishes it as a book.
The work of an author is much permanent than writer. Authors are the professionals who publishes work and earn royalty shares. However, often writers are paid on task to task basis. There is a term in the industry "ghost writer". Generally, these are people who work for Authors and get paid on task basis. While author collect all such pieces written by Ghost Writers, edit, compile and send to publishers to make a book.
Good writers are better readers. They read a lot. Same is true for Authors. For them reading is not a task but religion. Read while traveling, before sleeping, while relaxing at beaches or sitting over a coffee shop. As much they read better they become at professional front. This does not mean they do not do other activities or they are different people. Yes, they belongs to different club. That's why out there in the world there are many authors and writers forums.
Did you maintain a diary when you were a child? Did you ever weave a story for your college magazine? If you think you have a J. K. Rowling or a Charles Dickens hidden within, unleash it with your pen.
Choose a career of a writer and author and develop original stories or content for advertisements, magazines, online publications, books and movie and television scripts. Most writers work independently and send their manuscripts to publishing houses for printing. Some even contribute regularly for magazines, newspapers or blogs and websites.A writer can be a:
- Copywriter in advertisement and public relations firms
- Creative writer for movies, theater, books or magazines
Role of Authors and Writers
Its limited in just 5 words; 'to bring out the better'
Though there are no pre-defined roles for a creative writer, who writes mostly out of his or her imagination; a copywriter or a writer working for any magazine or publication has to follow some set guidelines.
- Researches for the right subject matter that can keep the reader enthralled.
- Conduct research to get correct factual information.
- Presents drafts and manuscripts to editors for final approval.
- Work with editors and clients to shape the material so it can be published.
Skills of a Writer and Author Creativity:
Developing, creating, and writing content for books or magazines should come naturally to the writer. A writer should have the skill to come up with new ideas and develop characters and plots with ease.Writing Skills:
‘The pen is mightier than the sword’ and you can achieve it only through your writing skills. You should have impeccable grasp over your language skills and ability to play with your words smoothly.Determination:
A project takes years to be completed. One should have that perseverance and determination to continue with the project and not leave it midway. A writer should develop patience and not be frustrated with things like multiple drafts or lack of feedback from clients and publishers.
An author should have excellent relationship with his or her publishers and editors. Subject Knowledge:
A writer should be a subject matter expert as well. One cannot write authentic content without having prior knowledge of the subject.Computer Skills:
Like most of the media careers, writing too has gone digital. Gone are the days when paper manuscripts are submitted to the editors and publishers. A writer should have adequate computer knowledge about page layout and design.
Pros and Cons of a Writer and AuthorPros
- Writing is a wonderful way to unleash one's creativity. Whether it's a poem or an advertising copy, writing is always fun and creative.
- A writer feels a sense of satisfaction to see his or her work being published.
- You are your own boss. You can work according to your own time and decide to take off as per your wish.
- All writers are not J.K. Rowlings or Stephen Kings. Most writers suffer from poor financial condition till they become commercially viable. Publishers are reluctant to publish works of first-time writers.
- Income is not stable for most writers, even if they are established writers. You could be without work for months. As a result, writers need to have a stable source of second income.
- Most writers lead a lonely life-style. They spend a lot of time on their manuscripts by staying away from family and friends.
- A writer should be ready for rejection. Their work could be rejected by publishers and could be required to rework on their manuscripts. Many a time, writers are also required to curb their creativity and write scripts or stories on the whims and fancies of the publishers and editors.
Typical Jobs associated with Authors and Writers
- Communications director
- Technical writer
- Book editor
- Public relations specialist
The list above is indicative only.
While one can become Author or Writer as very early age. The subject knowledge required in this field is very high. Merely gaining higher education is not sufficient to become Writer or Author. You need burning desire to question the existing ideas and find answers. There are many child authors and writers in the world who are still in High School of below but the knowledge they carry and desire to learn make them successful authors and writers.
If you are someone passionate about something, you question limitless and strives to learn then Authoring and Writing could be your career choice.
Media, Communications and Entertainment Careers