A picture worth a thousand words; this statement holds true since centuries. The paint and brush find space in computers. Since the human race began, this profession has evolved manifold. Ancient man used to make graphics on stones and sands, then came paper and pencil, next came canvas era and now its much of computer graphics. Excellent graphics are needed in every industry and so the requirement for eligible Graphic Designers is continuous. As a graphic designer you can work with print and digital media. Requirements are slightly different for the two but the purpose of graphic is the same, i.e. show your viewer that go well down the mind and heart through eyes.
If colors, design and images fascinate you, then graphic designing is the right choice for your career. In general Graphic Designers work with computer generated images, photographs, and pictures to convey a message. They design and create logos, websites, advertisements, brochures and illustrations for the clients. With evolution in the Computer Game Industry, Online Gaming, and now Mobile Games the eligible graphic designers are in continuous demand. Movies and Social Media are definitely adding new requirements in Graphic Designs. As an eligible graphic designer you can either join the work force or start your own business or consulting firm. The requirement is continuous and will remain till the human race exists.
Role of a Graphic Designer
- Discusses the project with the client and art director.
- Suggests various options of attracting the target audience through graphic designing.
- Create images to identify a product or convey a message.
- Develop logos, design websites and create images for target specific audiences.
- Use software packages to design images.
- Select layout, font, color and taglines after discussion with clients.
Graphic Designers can work as:
- Art Director
- Logo Designer
- Web designer
- Flash Designer
Skills Required for a Graphic Designer
Creativity: Ability to think and create images and designs out of the box is an essential characteristic of a graphic designer.
Computer Skills: Strong computer skills are needed for a good graphic designer. Knowledge of latest software packages is essential for a graphic designer to develop and create images and graphics for clients.
Communication: Communication skills of a graphic designer are essential as one needs to interact with clients, art directors, and web developers. Understanding the needs of the client and target audience is integral to graphic designing.
Time Management: Graphic designers work on extremely strict deadlines. In many cases, they work on multiple projects and are required to deliver on time.
Team Player: A graphic designer should be a team player. They are often required to work on projects with programmers, editors and directors.
Pros and Cons of a Graphic Designer
- Get to work with the latest software and learn and apply new design skills.
- Work is extremely dynamic and has no scope of boredom.
- You can be your own boss by working as a freelancer. You can also work from home if you have all the software on your system.
- Demand for graphic designers is expected to increase over the next 10 years.
- Graphic Designers earn a handsome salary.
- Strict deadlines and erratic work schedules.
- At times, you have to compromise with your creativity and work as per clients’ demands.
- Copyright issues arise especially if you are working independently.