Tax Examiners and Collectors, or Revenue Agents Career
Tax examiners and collectors, and revenue agents job is best suited to those who like to work within set rules and laws, have more inclination towards numeracy rather than creativity. There will be no dearth of employment opportunities as these professionals will be required in more numbers whether economy is booming or slumping.
Tax examiners and collectors, and revenue agents are government’s agents to collect taxes from all the individuals and businesses. They ensure that tax returns are filed properly, and they follow up with taxpayers whose returns are questionable or who owe more than they have paid.
Tax examiners, collectors, and revenue agents have different duties and responsibilities:
- Tax examiners deal with the simplest tax returns.
- Revenue agents specialize in tax-related accounting.
- Collectors, also called revenue officers in the IRS, deal with overdue accounts.
Role of Tax Examiners and Collectors, and Revenue Agents
- Review filed tax returns.
- Contact taxpayers by mail or telephone to address problems and to request supporting documentation.
- Conduct field audits and investigations of income tax returns.
- Evaluate financial information.
- Keep records on each case they deal with.
- Notify taxpayers of any overpayment or underpayment, and either issue a refund or request further payment.
Skills of Tax Examiners and Collectors, and Revenue AgentsAnalytical skills:
Tax examiners and revenue agents must have analytical skills to review various credits and deductions.Detail oriented:
Tax examiners and revenue agents should have an eye for details to verify the accuracy of each entry on the tax returns. Interpersonal skills:
Collectors must be comfortable dealing with people therefore need good interpersonal skills.Organizational skills:
Tax examiners and revenue agents should keep the various pieces of information organized.
Tax examiners and collectors, and revenue agents generally work full time, although some overtime might be needed during tax season.
Some Job Titles
Revenue Agent, Revenue Officer, Tax Auditor, Tax Examiner, Delinquent Tax Collection Assistant, Tax Collector, Tax Compliance Officer, Revenue Specialist, City Tax Auditor, Revenue Collector.
Where to Study
You need a minimum of graduate degree to join work as Tax examiner and collector or revenue agent. To find a suitable study programme go to University Hub