Food Preparation Workers
If you are looking for career that is less demanding on education and has flexible working hours then jumpstart your career as Food Preparation workers or just to enter culinary industry and gain experience. Food preparation workers perform many routine tasks under the guidance of cooks or food supervisors. They prepare cold foods, slice meat, peel and cut vegetables, brew coffee or tea, and do many other tasks.
Food preparation workers are employed in restaurants, hotels, and other places where food is served, such as grocery stores, schools, hospitals, and cafeterias. About 53 percent of food preparation workers worked part time. If you want job experience in your late teens or early twenties or looking for some extra bucks then consider doing job as food preparation worker.
Role of Food Preparation Workers
- Prepare food & serves food, and washes all dishes.
- Keeps kitchen clean and organized.
- Weigh or measure ingredients, such as meat and cheeses.
- Prepare fresh condiments, including lettuce, tomatoes, and onions.
- Cut and grind meats, poultry, and seafood to prepare for cooking.
- Mix ingredients for salads.
- Store food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
- Take and record temperatures of food and food storage areas.
- Place food trays over food warmers for immediate service.
Skills of Food Preparation WorkersListening skills: To help cooks, food preparation workers must be able to understand specific orders and follow directions.
Manual dexterity: Because food preparation workers chop vegetables, cut meat, and do other tasks with sharp knives, they must have good hand control.
Stamina: Food preparation workers must be able to spend most of their work time on their feet as they prepare foods, clean work areas, or lift heavy pots from the stove.
Teamwork:The fast-paced environment in kitchens can be hectic and stressful, especially during peak dining hours. Food preparation workers must be able to work well as part of a team to ensure that dishes are prepared properly, quickly, and efficiently.
Some reported job titles: Dietary Aide, Prep Cook (Preparation Cook), Food Service Worker, Diet Aide, Food Service Aide, Dietary Assistant, Nutrition Aide, Food Preparer, Pantry Cook, Slicer