Fitness Trainers or Instructors: Career, Courses, Training, Jobs & Growth Prospects
"Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity." --John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Employers give Gym Coupon for free and you are overjoyed thinking its additional to salary and your company care for you. Your heart is filled with joy and appreciation. But hold a minute. Certainly your employer deserve a 'Thank You' but at the same time your employer know well, you potential can be utilized well if you stay fit and healthy. Many companies advertise with job that they give healthy snacks or meal or may be both and free Gym membership.
World is full of stories, of people, of struggles and success of men and women despite hard times. But those men and women were FIT. Fitness does not equal to you don't have any shortcomings. But its about to take shortcomings as a challenge and conquer the fear. And only a healthy body and mind can do that. An overweight person who could be a marathon winner you won't dare to label as unfit or misfit. Do you?
Importance of fitness is taught to us since childhood and smart people understand well how important it is to stay fit. That's why Fitness industry is the fastest growing industry worldwide as more and more people are moving towards healthier lifestyle, so is the demand for trained Fitness Trainer or Instructor. If you are fitness conscious and want to spread healthy lifestyle in the society then career as Fitness Trainer or Instructor could be right fit for you.
Career as Fitness Trainer or Instructor offers you a great opportunity to live your life well and contribute to society in a most positive way. Moreover, training and education is short and getting started in this career is easier than ever.
You can opt for personal trainer or a group trainer. As trainer, you have to often plan your training session’s schedule, choosing a soothing music or choreograph exercises routine to motivate your clients keeping in mind their personal need. There are various specializations available –personal fitness trainers, group fitness instructors, specialized fitness instructors or fitness directors
Role of Fitness Trainers or Instructors
- Demonstrate how to carry out various exercises and routines
- Show or tell them correct techniques to minimize injury and improve fitness
- Give alternative exercises during workouts or classes for different levels of fitness and skill
- Monitor clients’ progress and adapt programs as needed
- Explain and enforce safety rules and regulations on sports, recreational activities, and the use of exercise equipment
- Give clients information or resources about nutrition, weight control, and lifestyle issues
- Give emergency first aid if needed
Skills of Fitness Trainers or Instructors
- Customer-service skills: Fitness trainers and instructors must be polite, friendly, and encouraging to get and keep their clients.
- Listening skills: Fitness trainers and instructors must be able to listen carefully to what clients tell them to determine the client's fitness levels and desired fitness goals.
- Motivational skills: To keep clients coming back for more classes or to continue personal training, fitness trainers and instructors must be able to keep their clients motivated.
- Physical fitness: Fitness trainers and instructors need to be physically fit because their job requires a considerable amount of exercise. Group instructors often participate in classes, and personal trainers often need to show exercises to their clients.
- Problem-solving skills: Fitness trainers and instructors must evaluate each client’s level of fitness and create an appropriate fitness plan to meet the client’s individual needs.
- Speaking skills: Fitness trainers and instructors must be able to communicate well because they need to be able to explain exercises and movements to clients, as well as motivate them verbally during exercises.
Some Job Titles
Personal Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, Fitness Instructor, Group Fitness Instructor, Group Exercise Instructor, Fitness Coordinator, Fitness Director, Fitness Technician, Fitness Trainer, Private Trainer
Where to study
Playground is your best school, fitness is your certificate and ability to keep other fit with least risk is your internship. But in between all this rigorous work you need to learn many different things that can control human body and mind to keep an individual fit. For the purpose bachelors, masters and research programmes are offered in Physical Education. To chose a programme go to University Hub