Barbers, Hairdressers, and Cosmetologists
If you are an expert in people skills and have understanding of fashion and art then consider becoming Barber, Hairdresser, and Cosmetologist. People’s desire to look and feel at their best in appearance has initiated the demand for beauty industry more than ever before. This career offers flexible working hours and a lot of appreciation for good work, which in turn gives immense job satisfaction.
- There are a number of specialized services that you can work and become expert after entering the industry. You can work in diverse field within the career like, become demonstrators, manufacturer representatives, research assistants, and trade technicians or technical supervisors. Other possibilities include state board members, state board examiners, and educational directors.
- Hairstyles and fashion trends are constantly changing; Barbers, Hairdressers, and Cosmetologists must keep abreast of the latest fashions and techniques.
- Barbers cut, trim, shampoo, and style hair, mostly for male clients.
- Hairdressers, or hairstylists, offer a wide range of hair services, such as shampooing, cutting, coloring, and styling.
- Cosmetologists provide scalp and facial treatments and makeup analysis. Some also clean and style wigs and hairpieces.
- Shampooers wash and rinse customers’ hair so a hairstylist can cut and style it.
Role of Barbers, Hairdressers, and Cosmetologists
- Inspect hair, face, and scalp, to recommend treatment.
- Discuss hairstyle options.
- Wash, color, and condition hair.
- Cut or trim, dry, and style hair.
- Receive payments from clients.
- Clean and sanitize all tools and work areas.
Skills of Barbers, Hairdressers, and CosmetologistsDexterity:
Barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists should have finger dexterity and a sense of form and artistry. People skills:
They should enjoy dealing with the public and be willing and able to follow patrons’ instructions.Creativity:
Barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists must keep up with the latest trends and be able to try new hairstyles for their clients.Customer-service skills:
To help retain clients, barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists must be pleasant, friendly, and able to interact with customers.Listening skills:
Barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists should be good listeners. They must listen carefully to what the client wants to make sure the client is happy with the result.Stamina:
Barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists must be able to stand on their feet for long periods of time.Time-management skills:
Time management skills are important when scheduling appointments and providing services.
Some Job Titles
Cosmetologist, Hairstylist, Hairdresser, Barber Stylist, Hair Dressing Expert, Manager Stylist, Nail Technician