Parasitology as a Career
Parasitology is best suited to a person with inquisitive mind and interest in research. There are virtually unlimited research opportunities. The variety in basic and in applied research areas of parasitology exist in fields from the molecular level to the global level is unsurpassed in other field of biology. Clearly, the myriad of problems that parasites cause humans provide many opportunities for parasitologists to contribute to the betterment of the human condition.
Armed with new research tools, parasitologist have unprecedented opportunities to work at the forefront of scientific endeavor, and have great potential for making exciting new discoveries.
Role of Parasitologist
- Working in a laboratory environment.
parasites to determine how they attack human beings and animals.
- Investigate how they're transmitted from host to host.
- Parasitologists also develop methods
and agents to combat parasites.
Skills required to be Parasitologist
- Persistence: Job requires persistence to face all the obstacles during research.
- Attention to Details: Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Analytical Thinking: Require analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Scientific Skills: Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Pros and Cons of being ParasitologistsPros
- Satisfaction and work value.
- Offer job security and good working conditions.
- Good compensation.
- Potential for advancement.
- Variety in work.
- Advanced education is necessary.
- Keen competition for gaining research grants.
- May require exposure to diseases and infections.
Parasitology is taught as a study discipline through different science/life science / medical science university departments and colleges. This is specialized programme and offed mainly at graduate level as masters and research etc. Opportunities for qualified Parasitologists are very high across world across industries and academics. The work opportunities are not only limited to the field of medicine.