Marine Biologists and Oceanographers as Career Option
If you reflect increasing interest in environmental issues related to marine bio and life or just curious about the micro-organisms in the ocean then pursue career as marine biologist or oceanographer.
A career in marine biology encompasses an almost infinite number of opportunities about marine life. There are a number of career paths to choose from, and deciding where to study marine biology is a critical step in determining which path to choose.
Marine biologists or oceanographers working in research investigate the ecological, physiological, cellular, and biochemical characteristics of marine bacteria, plants, and animals. You might teach, work outdoors and/or underwater, or even in an office. It's most likely that you would work in a variety of environments during the course of your career.
Oceanographers may specialize and become:Marine geologists - studying the ocean basins;
Marine chemists - determining the chemical composition of water or sediments;
Marine physicists - studying the properties of currents, waves and tides;
Marine biologists - describing marine life and how organisms interact with their environment.
Role of Marine Biologists and Oceanographers
• Plan and conduct research
• Communicate with research personnel
• Plan scientific research or investigative studies
• Record data on computer
• Develop or maintain databases
• Getting Information by collecting data -scientific or technical data, academic research data or statistical
• Research human or animal disease
• Study development of plants, animals, or microscopic organisms
Skills Required to be Marine Biologists and Oceanographers
- Observation skills-Base their findings on sound observation and careful evaluation of data.
- Interpersonal skills. Most Marine Biologists and Oceanographers work as part of a team with engineers, technicians, and other scientists.
- Problem-solving skills. Work on complex projects filled with challenges.
- Stamina- Oceanographers may need to work in a variety of environments and remote locations in the sea while research.
- Writing skills- Write reports and research papers that explain their findings.