Career in Health and Safety Engineering
Over exploitation of anything is bad, it causes worst effects. When
technology reaches in the hands of people without information' they
start using it mindlessly. Obviously results cannot be expected in
favor. However, without sending technology to everyone its use will be
limited. So on one hand we need to give technology to everyone but on
the hand we need to make control use of the same so it does not cause
ill effects to life. This is where Health and Safety Engineering comes
to work. The health engineers applies the know-how of health, safety and
system engineering to ensure that technology in use must not cause
damage to life in any form. 100% damage control could be a reality but
with mindful use technology could be used in best practice while causing
least damage that should not be irreversible. The services of Health
and Safety Engineers are taken by government and private agencies
Role of a Health and Safety EngineerA health and safety engineer performs the following activities –
- Check specifications of new machine to make sure it would not harm the people using it.
- Check machines, facilities and other safety equipments to fix if these adhere to safety norms.
- Analyzes the industrial control mechanisms.
- Make sure that a product or building adheres to safety norms.
- Install and direct the installation process of safety devices.
- Analyzes the workers safety programs and suggests for necessary improvements.
- Applies knowledge of safety policies, regulations and industrial processes in a system.
Skills Required for Health and Safety EngineerAcademic Skills
degree holder in electrical, chemical, mechanical, industrial and
related disciplines are employed as health and safety engineers in
industry. Universities in different locations offer these programs in
plenty. Students interested in health and safety engineering career need
to study mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology at K-12 / High
School standard. Those interested in graduate qualification in health
and safety engineering must require to posses bachelor’s degree in a
Personal Skills Required to be Health and Safety Engineer
- Safety Engineers should be curious, logical, and detail-oriented.
- Good communication skills are always a plus as many projects require group input.
- One needs sound knowledge in mathematics and sciences which is ultimate to solve highly technical problems.
- One should be able to correlate the machines with men so as to ensure safety.
and Safety Engineering is interdisciplinary work area where one must
should have knowledge in various engineering like mechanical,
electrical, industrial as well as basic sciences like mathematics and
physics. The work opportunities for health and safety engineers are
available in plenty.