Hand Laborers and Material Movers Career Information
Hand Laborers and Material Movers job is considered to be just moving and lifting furniture but it has more than this and various options are available to explore moreover, if you do not have any work experience it is a good entry level job. The job is suitable for physically active people and with good physical strength. You may work as a part-time or seasonal worker which gives you ample time for other activities. There are lots of different settings to work such as manufacturing industry, movers’ services, docks, airports etc.
Laborers and hand freight, stock, and material movers move materials to and from storage and production areas, loading docks, delivery trucks, ships, and containers.
Hand packers and packagers package a variety of materials by hand.
Machine feeders and offbearers process materials by feeding them into equipment or by removing materials from equipment.
Cleaners of vehicles and equipment clean automobiles and other vehicles, as well as storage tanks, pipelines, and related machinery.
Refuse and recyclable material collectors gather garbage and recyclables from homes and businesses to transport to a dump, landfill, or recycling center.
Role of Hand Laborers and Material Movers
- Move freight and stocks by hand
- Mark identifying information on the containers and packages.
- Read work orders or receive oral instructions to determine work assignments or material or equipment needs.
- Record numbers of units handled or moved, using daily production sheets or work tickets.
- Move freight, stock, or other materials to and from storage or production areas, loading docks, delivery vehicles, ships, or containers, by hand or using trucks, tractors, or other equipment.
- Sort cargo before loading and unloading.
- Use signals to assist machine operators who are moving larger pieces of material, when necessary.
Skills of Hand Laborers and Material Movers
Customer-service skills: Laborers and material handlers should be pleasant and courteous to customers and must have good customer-service skills.
Listening skills: Laborers and material movers often need to follow instructions that a supervisor gives them.
Physical strength: Some workers must be able to lift heavy objects throughout the day.
Work schedule of Hand Laborers and Material Movers
Most hand laborers and material movers work full time. In addition, most work 8-hour shifts, although longer shifts and overtime are common. Because materials are shipped around the clock, some workers, especially those in warehousing, work overnight shifts.
Some Job Titles:
Material Handler, Warehouse Worker, Laborer, Loader, Receiving Associate, Receiver, Shipping and Receiving Materials Handler, Merchandise Pickup / Receiving Associate, Line Tender, Stock Replenisher