Biochemists and Biophysicists
If you have an inclination towards research and genuinely want to contribute in improving the health of people and environment then you should check out Biochemists and Biophysicists as your career path. By choosing this as your career you could be part of booming Biotechnology industry which is one of the fastest growing employment sectors across the world.
Biochemists and Biophysicists conduct genetic research and develop new medicines and treatments used to fight genetic disorders and diseases such as cancer. Besides this they work in areas such as - alternative energy sources, genetically engineered food crops and efforts to discover new and improved ways to clean up and preserve the environment.
Role of Biochemists and Biophysicists
- Preparing reports and recommendations based on the outcomes of research.
- Developing new methods to study the mechanisms of biological processes.
- Managing a laboratory team and assessing its performance.
- Writing research papers and making presentations at scientific conferences.
Skills Required to be Biochemists and Biophysicists
- Learning Strategies: Use multiple approaches when learning or teaching new things.
- Critical Thinking: Use logic and analysis to identify the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches.
- Active Listening: Listen to what other people are saying and ask questions as appropriate.
- Writing: Communicate effectively with others in writing as indicated by the needs of the audience.
- Equipment Selection: Determine the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Time Management: Manage one's own time and the time of others.
- Active Learning: Work with new material or information to grasp its implications.
- Complex Problem Solving: Solving novel, ill-defined problems in complex, real-world settings.
- Coordination: Adjust actions in relation to others' actions.
- Reading Comprehension: Understand written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Speaking: Talk to others to effectively convey information.
- Science: Use scientific methods to solve problems.