The GRE General Test popularly termed as GRE is the test taken by college graduates to apply to Graduate School Admission, Scholarship and Financial Aid etc. The GRE Test Score is largely accepted by Graduate Schools, Universities and Institutions of Higher Education in United States, Canada and many other nations. Its internationally accepted examination for Graduate School Admission. Now GRE is also accepted by MBA Schools and Law Schools. The Educational Testing Services (ETS) is administering authority for GRE General across world.
The GRE General test is taken by students for admission into master's, MBA, specialized master's in business, J.D. degree, or doctoral degree. There are more than one 1000 GRE Test Centers across 160 countries of the world. GRE General is offered as Computer Based Test throughout the year. However at some locations where Computer Delivered Test is not available Paper Based Test is administered.
GRE General Test Question Pattern
The GRE General Test features question types that closely reflect the kind of thinking you'll do in graduate or business school.
Verbal Reasoning — Measures the ability to analyze and draw conclusions from discourse and reason from incomplete data, understand multiple levels of meaning, such as literal, figurative and author’s intent, and summarize text and distinguish major from minor points, understand the meanings of words, sentences and entire texts, and understand relationships among words and among concepts. There is an emphasis on complex verbal reasoning skills.
Quantitative Reasoning — Measures the ability to understand, interpret and analyze quantitative information, solve problems using mathematical models, and apply the basic concepts of arithmetic, algebra, geometry and data analysis. There is an emphasis on quantitative reasoning skills.
Analytical Writing — Measures critical thinking and analytical writing skills, including the ability to articulate and support complex ideas with relevant reasons and examples, and examine claims and accompanying evidence. There is an emphasis on analytical writing skills.
GRE General Test Center and Dates
GRE General is administered across 160 countries. You can chose a test location near to your home and take the test at a convenient date.
GRE General Test Fees
GRE General Test is offered worldwide. Following given test fee in different locations
- Australia: $230China: $231.30
- Nigeria: $220
- Turkey: $255
- All other areas of the world: $205
You can pay GRE General Test Fee using Credit/Debit Card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, China Union Pay, Diners Club International, or JCB).
GRE Fee Reduction Program
Promising candidates in need of financial help can avail GRE Fee Reduction Voucher from ETS on First Come First Serve basis. This criteria is applicable to both i.e. GRE General and GRE Subject. A fee waiver of 50% is applicable. Following given eligibility criteria.
College seniors must be:
- receiving financial aid through an undergraduate college in the United States, U.S. Territories or Puerto Rico, and
- a dependent, who has a FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) that shows a parental contribution of not more than $2,500 for the senior year, or
- self-supporting and have a SAR that shows a contribution of not more than $3,000 for the senior year
Unenrolled college graduates must:
Download Fee Reduction Request Form
- have applied for financial aid, and
- have a SAR that shows a self-supporting status and a contribution of not more than $3,000
and rush it to ETS on time.
GRE Fee Reduction For National Programs in the United States
GRE Fee Reduction Certificates/Vouchers are also made available to the following programs:
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science Program (GEM)
- Maximizing Access to Research Careers (MARC) Undergraduate Student Training in Academic Research (U-STAR) Program
- Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE) Program
- TRIO Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program
- TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) Program
GRE Fee Reduction Program for Unemployed
The candidates who are on unemployment compensation are also condidered for GRE Fee Reduction Program. Download GRE Fee Reduction Form for unemployed
GRE General Score Report
See below the way GRE General Score is interpreted
- Verbal Reasoning: 130–170, in 1 point increments
- Quantitative Reasoning: 130–170, in 1 point increments
- Analytical Writing: 0–6, in half point increments
You can allow ETS to send your GRE Score to as many as Four institutions. No cost is charged towards this. The Score select option allow to send best score to Universities and Fellowship Sponsors. The test score is normally available after 10-15 days from the test date. For sending GRE Score to more than 4 institutions you will be charged a fee. Here is how to send additional GRE Score Report
GRE General Test Prep
GRE General is a measure of graduate school success. The Universities and Fellowship Sponsors believes on GRE Score to consider your application. However, some institutions and departments may also conduct additional tests before final recruitment. The test measures what skills you have acquired through college years and whether you will be able to complete graduate program.
Preparation is the key in an examination like GRE, its unique, its different. So no eligible bachelor left behind from pursuing a graduate school program, the ETS offers free preparation resources. You can make use of these resources to score better in GRE. Here are Free Preparation Resources for GRE General