Grading, Academic Year and Language of Instruction in Iceland
The educational institutions in Iceland use a grading scale that ranges from 0 to 10 and the Grade point average (GPA) is rounded off to two decimal points.
Grades are as follows:
- GPA between 10.0-9.0 indicates "First class with distinction" (Agaetiseinkunn) and US grade A+ is assigned.
- Grades 8.99 to 7.25 indicates "First class" (Fyrsta einkunn) and US grade A is assigned
- Grades 7.24 to 6.0 refers to "Second class" (Onnur einkunn) and US grade B is assigned
- Grades 5.99 to 5.0 indicates "Third class" (prieja einkunn) and US grade C is assigned
- Grades less than 5 (0-4.99) are assigned a status of "Fail" and US grade F is assigned
Language of Instruction
The language of instruction in Iceland is Icelandic.
The academic year in the majority of higher education institutions in Iceland runs from September to May and is split up into 2 semesters:
- Fall semester: Runs from September to December
- Spring semester: Runs from January to May