Student Visa for Estonia

All international students or EU citizens in Estonia who wish to study or work in Estonia needs to have a temporary residence permit. It is to be noted that Estonia never issues a study visa and hence all NON-EU students must only apply for a temporary residence permit or (TRP) for studying in Estonia. The students should also meet with certain conditions, which make it possible for them to apply for the long term (D-visa) or short term (C-visa) to visit Estonia and apply for the TRP after arriving in Estonia.

The TRP application and the visa process only starts after the student get accepted by the University to pursue the programme they have chosen and after the university has forwarded the required documents for acceptance.

For EU Citizens

To obtain the temporary residence rights, the students should first register in the Local Government authority their place of residence within 3 months after entering Estonia. Other than this, the student also needs to apply for the photo ID-card within a month of getting the temporary residence right.

For NON-EU Citizens

All students belonging to the third country needs to apply for a TRP at the Estonian Consul or Embassy in their own country. But, if there are no Estonian Consulates or Embassy in their country then they should get in touch with the Estonian Embassy of their nearest county.

It has been made a rule since 1st Oct 2010, that all nationals of the third country who are staying in Estonia legally and they want to pursue doctoral or master’s level study can directly apply for their residence permit to studying in Estonia at the Police and Border Guard Board in Estonia.

The third countries students should register their residence details in the Local Government authority within 1 month of their arrival in Estonia on the basis of residence permit for study.

IMPORTANT: The TRP is only valid for a maximum period of 1 year and it should get renewed at the Police and Border Guard Board at least 2 months prior to its expiration date. The photo ID-card that is issued to them is an important document which states that the student has been given a TRP for pursuing higher education studies in Estonia.

If settling with family or spouse

If you are visiting Estonia for doctoral or master’s studies along with your family or spouse, then they should also apply for the temporary residence permit or TRP.

One should never hesitate to ask for the help from all institutions in Estonia that provides study programmes to international students. There are International offices which offers help to all international students.

For latest updates see official website Study in Estonia

Connect me with the Top Colleges
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail ID :
You live in:
Mobile Number:
You want to study in:
Highest Level of Education:
Study Preference:
You want to Study:
Need an education loan?
loading Processing...

World Select a Country

Our Network :