Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
Here is a perfect career information about Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment for those interested in helping people, teaching, and good communication skills with excellent decision making skills and are emotionally strong .
Who is a Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
Probation officers and correctional treatment specialists are professional working with criminal offenders who may be dangerous. These professional provide social services to help in rehabilitating of law breakers in custody, on probation or on parole.
Role of Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
- Monitor client progress
- Organize legal information or records
- Prepare reports, record client's personal data
- Refer clients to community services or resources
- Advise families with household problems and decide treatment
- Cooperate with court personnel or other law enforcement agencies
- Coordinate social service activities with resource providers
- Maintain records, reports, or files
- Manage detailed case records in a social work setting
Skills Required to be Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
People's skills: Likes interacting with people.
Problem solving skills: Should have excellent problem solving skills.
Speaking skills: Should have good conversation skills, able to persuade people to share their experience and convince them to improve in life.
Writing skills: Having good writing skills is important especially as they interpret training materials and write reports.
Emotional stability: Since stress, awkward situation, hostile attitude of people are a part of the job therefore probation officers and correctional treatment specialists should be emotionally strong.
Multitasking skills: Probation officers and correctional treatment specialists should be able to manage multiple tasks at a time.
Critical-thinking skills: Should be able to assess the needs of an individual before helping them to find a solution.
Decision-making skills: Should be quick in decision making by carefully analyzing the pros and cons of a situation.
Pros and Cons
- High job growth
- Job satisfaction
- Flexibility to work in different settings
- Variety of duties
- Extended working hours
- Relatively less pay depending upon the area and organization
- Risk involved, as individuals you are working with are criminals