If colors, design and images fascinate you, then graphic designing is the right choice for your career. Graphic designers work with computer generated images, photographs,
images and pictures to convey a message. They design and create logos,
websites, advertisements, brochures and illustrations for their clients.
Role of a Graphic Designer
Graphic Designers can work as:
- Discusses the project with the client and art director.
- Suggests various options of attracting the target audience through graphic designing.
- Create images to identify a product or convey a message.
- Develop logos, design websites and create images for target specific audience.
- Use software packages to design images.
- Select layout, font, color and tag lines after discussion with clients.
- Art Director
- Logo Designer
- Web designer
- Flash Designer
Skills Required for a Graphic DesignerCreativity:
Ability to think and create images and designs out of the box is an essential characteristic of a graphic designer. Computer Skills:
computer skills are needed for a good graphic designer. Knowledge of
latest software packages is essential for a graphic designer to develop
and create images and graphics for clients.Communication:
Communication skills of a graphic designer are essential as one needs to
interact clients, art director, and web
developers. Understanding the need of the client and target audience is
integral of graphic designing.Time Management:
designers work on extremely strict deadlines. In many cases, they work
on multiple projects and are required to deliver on time.Team Player:
A graphic designer should be a team player. They are often required to work on projects with programmers, editors and directors.
Pros and Cons of a Graphic DesignerPros
- Get to work with the latest software and learn and apply new design skills.
- Work is extremely dynamic and no scope of boredom.
- You can be your own boss by working as a freelancer. You can also work from home if you have all the software on your system.
- Demand for graphic designers is expected to increase over the next 10 years.
- Graphic Designers earn a handsome salary.
- Strict deadlines and erratic work schedules.
- At times, you have to compromise with your creativity, and work as per clients’ demands.
- Copyright issues arise especially if you are working independently.
Media, Communications and Entertainment Careers