Career or Technical Education Teachers
Career and Technical teachers is a enfolds a teaching career with a difference. They instruct students to work in a wide variety of fields and train them enter particular career or world of work. Career and technical teachers in middle and secondary schools may be introducing students to a trade or skill for the first time. They often teach courses that are in high demand by area employers, who often provide input into the curriculum and offer internships or apprenticeships to students at the secondary school level. Many vocational teachers play an active role in building and overseeing these partnerships. Additional responsibilities of middle and secondary school teachers may include providing career guidance, helping with job placement, and following up with students after graduation.
Career and Technical teachers use different settings and techniques that varies with their specialized field. These fields include agricultural science, family and consumer science, health occupations, business and marketing, trade and industry, and technology education.
Role of Career or Technical Education Teacher
- Administers subject specific assessments for the purpose of assessing student competency levels and/or developing individual learning plans.
- Advises parents and/or legal guardians of student progress for the purpose of communicating expectations; student's achievements.
- Developing methods for improvement and/or reinforcing classroom goals in the home environment.
- Assesses student progress towards objectives, expectations, and/or goals for the purpose of providing feedback to students,parents and administration.
- Collaborates with instructional staff, other school personnel, parents and a variety of community resources.
- Prepares a variety of written materials (e.g. grades, attendance, anecdotal records, etc.) for the purpose of documenting student.
- Develop and enforce classroom rules.
- Advise student organizations related to career fields.
Skills of Career or Technical Education TeacherCommunication Skills: Career and technical education teachers must collaborate with other teachers and members of the community. In addition, they need to discuss students’ needs with parents and administrators.
Creativity: Teachers must be able to develop interesting lesson plans to keep students’ attention and to teach students who learn in different ways.
Instructional skills: Career and technical education teachers need to be able to explain difficult concepts in terms that students understand. They help students develop skills through a variety of teaching techniques.
Organizational skills: Teachers in middle school and high school have many students in different classes throughout the day. They must be able to organize their materials and their time well.
Patience: Working with students of different abilities and backgrounds can be difficult. Teachers must be patient with students who struggle with material.
Some reported job titles:Teacher, Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher (FACS Teacher), Instructor, Technology Education Teacher, Business Education Teacher, Cosmetology Teacher, Agricultural Education Teacher, Allied Health Teacher, Marketing Education Teacher, Welding Instructor