Agricultural Engineers transfer and generate new technologies for producing agricultural products at mass level so as to give affordable living to people. Agricultural engineers are involved in identifying and solving the various problems in the agricultural world, including equipment design and production problems. Agricultural engineers work in research and development, production, sales, or management.
The agricultural engineering is a multidisciplinary study which includes animal biology, plant biology, and mechanical, civil, electrical and chemical engineering principles with knowledge of agricultural principles. If you are someone who like plants and animals and have a vision to do something special for human society then choosing a career in agricultural engineering is the right choice for you.
Role of an Agricultural Engineer
Agricultural Engineer applies technological knowledge to improve agricultural yields. Take a quick look at some of the key roles of agricultural engineers :
- Design of agricultural machinery, equipment, and agricultural structures.
- Internal combustion engines as applied to agricultural machinery.
- Agricultural resource management (including land use and water use).
- Water management, conservation, and storage for crop irrigation and livestock production.
- Surveying and land profiling.
- Climatology and atmospheric science.
- Soil management and conservation, including erosion and erosion control.
- Seeding, tillage, harvesting, and processing of crops.
- Livestock production, including poultry, fish and dairy animals.
- Physical and chemical properties of materials used in, or produced by, agricultural production.
- Bioresource engineering, which uses machines on the molecular level to help the environment.
Waste management, including animal waste, agricultural residues, and fertilizer runoff.
Food engineering and the processing of agricultural products.
Basic principles of electricity, applied to applied to electric motors.
Skills Required for an Agricultural EngineerListening skills-
Being an agricultural engineer one needs to be a good listener. An agricultural engineer requires gathering information workers, customers and fellow workers while working on a project.Mathematical Abilities-
Agricultural Engineers require using advance mathematics for problem solving while working on agricultural and agricultural machinery.Problem Solving Skills-
Agricultural projects comes with many challenge like agricultural production, machinery design and safety measures, products processing techniques, water erosion and other environmental and geological challenges. An agricultural engineer needs to be a good problem solver so that one can tackle the issues faced during a project. Team worker-
An agricultural needs to be a good team worker. Communication skills should be efficient enough so others in the team could follow the instructions provided by you related to a product, project or machinery.